Sleepline.com has spent thousands of hours researching and comparing products relating to sleep. We are serious about recommending the correct products for your individual needs. We take in more data points than just our own and encourage our users feedback. At times we are compensated for the links you click at no cost to you. Learn more on our disclosure page here.
Pregnancy is a challenging phase and the many changes that a pregnant woman’s body experiences makes sleeping difficult. You can no longer sleep comfortably and even your usual sleeping position doesn’t seem to work anymore. Just as you’re getting the hand of sleeping in a particular position, you move into the next trimester and need to find another sleeping position. Add to that the leg cramps and back pains that pregnant women have to deal with on a daily basis and sleeping comfortably seems like a thing of the past.
It is for these reasons that we turn to pregnancy pillows that can help make sleeping more comfortable. With the numerous types of pregnancy pillows out in the market, how do we know which ones really work? I took an in-depth look at the best pregnancy and maternity pillows being sold in the market so you can choose the best pregnancy pillow based on your needs.
Top Picks for Pregnancy Pillows
Boppy Pregnancy Wedge – Best Pregnancy Pillow for Back and Belly Support
Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge for Maternity – Best Compact Pregnancy Pillow
PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow – Most Versatile Pregnancy Pillow
QUEEN ROSE 55″ Full Body Pregnancy Pillow – Best Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
#1. Boppy Pregnancy Wedge
Check Price | Full review coming soon.
The Boppy Pregnancy Wedge is a popular wedge pillow for expectant mothers. The pillow comes in a plastic case that can be re-sealed. Keep the plastic case since it can be used for storing the wedge pillow. The plastic case is also ideal for those who wish to bring the pillow during their travels. It’s a perfect way to keep the pillow clean and dry while in transit. One common complaint with new pillows is the chemical-like smell that they emit upon opening. This is a bigger concern for pregnant women who are more sensitive to foreign smell. Thankfully, I did not detect any unwanted odor from the Boppy. However, some women may have a more sensitive smell. Just to be on the safe side, you can always wash the removable cover before using it. Washing it before use will make sure that any residue or chemical smell left is completely eliminated.
As its name implies, the pillow has a tapered wedge shape so you get one side that is thin and another side that is thick. The thick side of the wedge is just 4 inches thick. The wedge shape is meant to provide support for both the tummy and the back. Just slide the thin part of the pillow under your tummy so you can sleep on your side while the pillow keeps you level.
You can use this pillow to add height to your regular pillows if you need an additional loft. I often use this pillow to help relieve back pains. Just place it under your knees while you’re laying down. This helps relieve the tension on your lower back. It is also a great way of reducing the pressure on the body’s pressure points.
Boppy uses high-density polyurethane foam on their wedge pillows. This type of material is firm but contours itself to the user. You end up with a pillow that fills the areas under your legs, back, or belly so you get maximum support while you sleep. Another benefit of the polyurethane foam is it doesn’t compress too much even under heavy weight. The foam also shifts whenever you move so you will always have support even when you move while you sleep.
Like what I mentioned earlier, the pillow comes with a removable and washable cover for easy maintenance. Just unzip the pillow cover and pop it into your washing machine to refresh it.
What makes this pillow unique?
- The wedge shape makes it ideal as a belly and back support pillow.
- The plastic case is ideal for transporting and storing the pillow.
- The pillow doesn’t have any harsh chemical smell.
- The foam doesn’t compress too much under heavy weight.
What kind of pillow cover is best for pregnancy pillows?
Cotton – Cotton is well-known for being soft and breathable. This makes cotton a perfect pillow cover if your pregnancy makes you run hot. Air can easily circulate inside a cotton pillow cover so you can get some cooling effect to help you get through hot summer nights. You can also find organic cotton covers is you want to use a natural fiber. Cotton fabric is available without chemical and pesticide treatments making them ideal if you have sensitive skin.
Polyester – Polyester is a fabric that is easy to wash and maintain. This fabric is also available in a wide variety of styles and textures so you can choose one that you’ll be most comfortable with. Polyester pillow covers are also stretchable and flexible which makes them easy to remove if you need to clean them.
#2. Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge for Maternity
Check Price | Full review coming soon.
Hiccapop utilizes the trusted wedge shape for their maternity pillow. This shape provides an ideal solution for pregnancy discomfort. One feature that I really liked about this pillow is its two-sided design. This is one pillow that you can use throughout your pregnancy because it can help mothers throughout the different stages of pregnancy. One side has a soft memory foam while the other has a firmer support foam. There’s no need for you to purchase different pillows for your pregnancy needs, just flip it over depending on your needs.
I love the pillow cover made of plush Velboa. The pillow cover is so soft and it feels like I’m being supported by a piece of cloud. Don’t let the soft fabric material fool you, this fabric is quite durable. It is also washable so you can keep it clean all the time.
Heat is something that pregnant women have to contend with. The good thing about this wedge pregnancy pillow is its perforated foam layer. This design helps promote proper air circulation so you can stay cool while you enjoy a good night’s sleep. The foam is also CertiPur-US certified. This certification is an assurance that the foam is made without PBDEs, flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, or CFCs. It is important to avoid exposure to harmful chemicals during pregnancy and this pillow makes sure you and your baby are safe from any side effect caused by such chemicals.
The compact design of this pillow makes it easy to move and carry around. It is lightweight so you won’t have a hard time carrying it with you when you move from the bedroom to the living room. It also comes with its own carrying bag so you can bring it with you even during your travels.
What makes this pillow ideal for pregnant women?
- It is portable and compact in design.
- It doesn’t have any harmful chemicals.
- It can help keep you cool while you sleep.
#3. PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
Check Price | Full review coming soon.
Pregnancy is often plagued by aches and pains and this is a great pillow for easing discomfort. It’s a full body pillow that you can use to get support form your belly, hips, legs, and back. The C-shaped pillow can be twisted or bent to replace up to 5 pillows. You can use it to support your head, neck, back, hips, legs, and your belly. This versatile pillow can be used on your bed, sofa, or floor. What’s nice about this pillow is that it is so versatile that you can use it even beyond pregnancy. You can use it while you are nursing your newborn or as a pillow to secure your young one.
The polyfill blend of this body support pillow provides soft comfort to make your sleep more restful. The said fill also delivers increased support density as you apply more weight to it.
One of the things I hate are pillows that burst at the seams. This is something you don’t have to worry about when you have a PharMeDoc pillow. It is double-stitched so you don’t have to deal with filling coming out of the seams of the pillow. The said stitching makes this pillow more durable so you can enjoy it longer than other single-stitched pillows.
This total body pregnancy pillow has a zippered and removable cover that is machine washable. This allows you to quickly and easily clean the pillow cover. The great thing about this cover is that it stays soft and comfortable even after multiple washes.
Why should I get the PharMeDoc pillow?
- This is a versatile pillow and can take the place of up to 5 pillows.
- It is double-stitched for added durability.
- It can be shaped to suit your different needs.
- It can be used beyond pregnancy.
#4. QUEEN ROSE 55″ Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
Check Price | Full Review Coming Soon
While most ergonomic pregnancy body pillows are C-shaped, the Queen Rose has a U-shaped design meant to cradle the whole body. The shape of this pillow follows the shape of a pregnant woman. This oversized pillow is long enough to allow you to stretch out while providing support to both sides of your body for optimum comfort. The good thing about this contoured body pillow is that there is no need for you to use additional pillows so you can get a good night’s rest.
Users of this pillow experience effective relief from pain and aches without the need to use medications. We all know how sensitive pregnancy can be and that taking even the most minute quantities of pain-relieving drugs may have unwanted effects on the unborn. This pillow can provide you with pain relief without you having to resort to medications. Aside from pregnancy-related aches and pains, this is also an ideal pillow for people who suffer from fibromyalgia, sciatica, acid reflux, carpal tunnel syndrome, and congestion. It can also help eliminate tossing and turning. You can also shape this pillow so you can have a soft place to rest your legs and avoid leg sore if you need to sit for a long period.
The Queen Rose uses only hypoallergenic materials. This means that you are shielded from allergens that may cause sneezing, skin irritations, runny nose, and watery eyes even while you sleep.
If you are not yet sure about getting the Queen Rose, you’ll be happy to note that they provide customers with 90 days to try out the pillow after which you can return it for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied.
Why should you get the Queen Rose?
- It uses a unique and ergonomic U-shaped design.
- It can help relieve pain without the need to take medications.
- They provide a 90-day guarantee for their products.
What shape of pregnancy pillow should I get?
Pregnancy pillows come in a wide variety of shapes and designs. Pregnancy is not the same for everyone and there are needs that are specific to each individual. The different designs and shapes of pregnancy pillows also have their own advantages. Before getting a particular design, you need to think of what it is you need the pillow for and get the shape that will best serve your needs.
- U-Shaped – U-shaped pillows make up the bulk of the pregnancy pillows available in the market. These are large pillows designed to cradle the whole body. The “legs” of the pillow provide support for both sides of the body while you sleep. The curved center part is ideal for providing support to your head and neck. Back sleepers will find these pillows ideal since they help keep them on their backs while they sleep. Large U-shaped pillows can be long enough so you can extend one leg of the U to go between your knees and ankles. What’s great about a U-shaped pillow is you can twist or form it into a number of different positions to support you whether you are reading in bed, watching TV, back sleeping, or stomach sleeping.
- C-Shaped – C-shaped pillows are often the same length of your body. Just like the U-shaped pillows, these pillows can also be configured in different ways depending on what you want to use them for. You can use it as a cuddling pillow or as a way of supporting your back. Most C-shaped pillows have one end that is thin and another end that is thick. This means that you can use them to support your neck and head whether you prefer a flat pillow or a lofty pillow.
- Wedges – Wedge pillows are the smallest pillows in this list. Unlike the C-shaped and U-shaped pillows that function as body pillows, wedges are designed to provide support to a single area that needs extra support. These pillows are ideal for those who need support under their bellies or lower backs. The thin part of the wedge makes it easy to insert under the belly while the thick part helps prop up the part that you’re supporting. These pillows are also great if you need pillows that will prevent you from rolling onto your back while you’re sleeping.
- Inflatable – Inflatable pillows are the least common pregnancy pillows in the market. These pillows are also the largest and they can be as big as your mattress. These pillows’ design makes them ideal for those who prefer stomach sleeping as their sleeping position. These are people who are unable to sleep unless they are in their stomach, and we all know how difficult it is to do so when you’re pregnant. Inflatable pregnancy pillows have holes in the middle that can accommodate your baby bump so you can still sleep on your stomach even while you’re pregnant.
What is the best filling for pregnancy pillows?
The filling used in a pillow can make or break it because the level of comfort that we get from them depends on the filling that they use. There are numerous types of pillow filling but not all of them are used in pregnancy pillows.
- Memory Foam – If you need a pillow with excellent contouring properties then you need a memory foam pillow. This is the most recommended pillow fill in pregnancy pillow reviews because they easily conform to the shape of the body. A woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes during pregnancy that may make comfortable sleeping a challenge. Memory foam pillows can adapt to whatever body changes a pregnant woman undergoes. A memory foam pillow tends to be less firm compared to other pillow fills but it is also more responsive whenever you move or change positions while you sleep. Although memory foam is more common in smaller pregnancy pillows like wedges, it is not uncommon to see them used in a maternity body pillow. A common complaint about memory foam pillows is they can get warm. However, there are now perforated memory foam pillows that allows air to circulate so you can stay cool while using them. There are also pillows that use shredded memory foam as their fill. Shredded memory foam has spaces in between the fill to allow additional ventilation.
- Microbeads – Microbeads are tiny balls of polystyrene used as pillow fills. Just like memory foam pillows, pillows that use microbeads conform to the shape of the body. Microbeads are used in smaller pregnancy pillows. Pillows that use microbeads are perfect for those who need hypoallergenic pillows. Since microbeads naturally do not absorb water or moisture, microbead pillows inhibit the growth of dust mites, fungi, and bacteria. If you suffer from severe allergies, microbead pillows are perfect for you. These pillows are also recommended for those who need added support for their neck and head. Microbead pillows have the ability to constantly change with the sleeper so that you will always have the support that you need even when you move a lot while you sleep. These pillows also help provide sleeping comfort through pressure management. The tiny polystyrene balls make an evenly soft sleeping surface without agitating the body’s pressure points. This results in a night of restful sleep and can prevent any stiffness when you wake up. The microbeads also create a slight massaging effect to make sleeping more comfortable. Microbeads also have spaces in between them to allow airflow so heat can quickly dissipate and provide you with a more relaxed sleeping experience.
- High-Density Foam – High-density foam is the firmest fill option you can find. This fill is often used in wedge pillows. High-density foam is ideal for propping up parts of the body that need additional support like your tummy. These pillows usually take longer to recover from compression, but they also provide more support compared to less dense memory foams. Pillows that use high-density foam are more durable but are also slightly pricier.
- Poly Fiber – Pillows that use Poly Fiber are known for their good airflow which makes them ideal for those who easily get hot while they sleep. Among the pregnancy pillow fills, poly fiber also delivers the fluffiest feel. Because they make a pillow soft and pliable, they are often used in full-body pillows. Another advantage of poly fiber pillows is they are machine washable.
How can I improve the quality of my sleep during pregnancy?
- Drink less water during the night. Hydration is important to our health and we need to get as much water as we can during the day. However, you need to cut down on drinking water close to your bedtime. This is to minimize bathroom visits during the night that can interrupt your sleep and prevent you from getting to deep sleep.
- Exercise. I know exercising is a challenge during pregnancy but even short walks can help improve blood circulation. This can also help reduce nighttime leg cramps that can be disrupting while you sleep. It is important though to avoid working out too close to your bedtime. Try to wrap up your exercises at least two hours before bedtime. Exercising releases adrenaline that can keep you awake when you should be sleeping.
- Keep track of what you eat. If you notice that eating spicy or sugary foods make your baby more active, avoid eating them during dinner. Sleeping is hard enough as it is without having to contend with an active baby kicking inside your tummy the entire night. Caffeine should also be avoided during pregnancy. Caffeine is a stimulant and can cause insomnia in pregnant women. If you experience sleeping difficulty because of nausea, it is also recommended that you try eating bland snacks like plain crackers. Although they are tasty, flavorful foods are more likely to make you nauseous.
How We Rate Pillows
There are many different types of pillows. In general, we rate pillows by 6 standards:
- Firmness and Support
- Loft & Adjustability
- Structural integrity & Durability
View our full rating process for pillows.