Generation Z and Millennials are much more likely to report that they are dependent upon masturbation in order to fall asleep, based on data from a survey commissioned by Sleepline.
We conducted this study to determine whether people were using masturbation as an aid to either fall asleep at night or as part of their morning ritual when waking up. We also wanted to know whether people are becoming increasingly dependent on masturbation to fall asleep as a result of the current sleeplessness epidemic (with the majority of people reporting that they sleep less than the recommended 8 hours of sleep per night).
We believe that the results of this survey show that Americans are having an increasingly hard time falling asleep due to modern lifestyles – long work hours, more time spent staring at screens, lack of temperature variation, etc. – and that they are seeking non-traditional methods to help themselves get some shuteye in addition to practicing proper sleep hygiene.
In this article we’ll give you the relevant results from this survey on a question-by-question basis.
The survey – which asked a series of questions to 1103 respondents from Generation Z, Millennials, and Generation X – showed that 25.76% of Generation Z is dependent on masturbation to fall asleep, compared with 25% of Millennials being dependent and 6.57% of Generation X reporting that they are dependent on masturbation.
In addition to the data on masturbation dependency we also asked respondents about their sleeping and porn habits. Here are the results.
Are you dependent on masturbation to fall asleep?
This is the question we really wanted to answer: are people dependent on masturbating to fall asleep and does that dependency differ between generations?
- Gen Z: 25.76% are dependent on masturbation to fall asleep
- Millennials: 25% are dependent on masturbation to fall asleep
- Gen X: 6.57% are dependent on masturbation to fall asleep
This question gave us the most extreme difference in results between the generations. The average masturbation dependency rate among all ages is 21.76%, meaning that Gen X has a significantly below-average masturbation dependency rate while Millennials and Gen Z are above-average.
Do you sleep alone?
- Gen Z: 84.09% sleep alone
- Millennials: 59.77% sleep alone
- Gen X: 57.07% sleep alone
When the data for all generations is combined, we found that 62.19% sleep alone. This means that Generation Z is significantly more likely than average to sleep without a partner, which isn’t surprising given that they are still in early adulthood, a time when many people still haven’t formed a long-term relationship.
Do you masturbate before sleep or after waking up?
- Gen Z: 72.73% before sleep, 8.33% after waking up
- Millennials: 66.15% before sleep, 13.93% after waking up
- Gen X: 58.9% before sleep, 17.68% after waking up
The combined data indicate that 65.64% of people masturbate before bedtime while 13.87% masturbate after waking, with the remainder at other times throughout the day. This shows that both Generation Z and Millennials are more likely than average to use masturbation as a sleep aid.
Do you watch porn before sleep?
- Gen Z: 86.36% watch porn
- Millennials: 71.35% watch porn
- Gen X: 50.51% watch porn
The overall porn-watching percentage is 69.36%, which means that Gen X is below-average and both the Millennial generation and Gen Z watch an above-average amount of porn before sleep.
How the survey was conducted
We obtained this data using Amazon’s Mechanical Turk. The survey took place on February 2, 2020 and polled 1103 random Americans of all ages, races, and genders. We analyzed the data using a variety of different Excel functions that gave us the relevant numbers for this article.
We asked a series of questions to a random group of respondents representing Generation Z (born 1996 and later), Millennials (born 1977-1995), and Gen X (born 1965-1976). Male respondents represented 63.83% of the survey data while females made up the remaining 36.17%.