If you have to sleep in a well-lit environment, sleep masks are the best way to block out light and get some shut eye. There are thousands of different options available at varying price points. We tested out all of the most popular brands and narrowed them down to the top 5. The overall best sleep mask is ALASKA BEAR Natural Silk Sleep Mask & Blindfold.
Top Picks for Sleeping Masks
- ALASKA BEAR Natural Silk Sleep Mask & Blindfold – Best value and editors choice
- Pwugwes Sleep Mask – Best lightweight sleep mask
- Jersey Slumber 100% Silk Sleep Mask – Best for side or stomach sleepers
- PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask – Best for kids
- Unimi Sleep Mask – Most comfortable
#1. ALASKA BEAR
ALASKA BEAR pros
- Made out of soft silk fabric
- Cooling effect
- Straps do not get stuck in your hair
ALASKA BEAR cons
- Small amount of light may enter around the sides
Our experience with ALASKA BEAR
Based on our testing, this sleeping mask is ideal for insomnia, and migraine sufferers. If you have any sleeping problems, we think this eye mask is something you should consider. It’s made from top quality natural mulberry silk that is super smooth to the touch. We definitely noticed that this made our sleeping experience much more comfortable.
We also liked that it’s breathable and cool on your eyes. It’s also hypoallergenic. This is great for people with sensitive skin. The two straps are made from mulberry silk. Both are adjustable and latex free. This means no velcro snagging at your hair or pillowcase as you sleep. The straps are effective at preventing the eye mask from slipping off.
I loved the ingenious flap around the nose. When you flip the flap upward, it acts as a seal. No light can stream below the mask and distract you as you sleep. Whether you are traveling, sleeping at home or in a hotel room, ALASKA BEAR is a great way to enjoy a restful sleep.
Event though this sleep mask does provide a near-total blackout effect, some light may leak in around the edges. In our experience, it wasn’t that big of a deal but for some it may be a deal breaker. Even with that slight downside, we still rank ALASKA BEAR as our overall best sleep mask.
- Made from natural mulberry silk – smooth and soft to the touch
- Comes with dual tension adjustable bands – prevents the eye mask from slipping off
- No-velcro strap – prevents snagging
- Smooth silk construction – doesn’t smudge makeup or night cream
- Available in black – blocks out most light
How a Sleep Mask Can Help
Light, whether it comes from the sun or artificial source, can affect your natural production of the hormone melatonin. If you are travelling or do not have the ability to set up your room with blackout curtains, than a sleeping mask can help facilitate your sleep-wake cycle.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Adjustable strap
- No light leakage
- Inside seam can be uncomfortable
Our experience with Pwugwes
We really liked the contoured design of the Pwugwes Sleep Mask. Since it’s designed with soft polyester fabric on both sides, we found that the material blocks out all light, with no light leakage. This sleep mask definitely helped our review team get a good night’s sleep.
The eye space is wide and deep, which is great because it allows your eyes to move around freely. Restricted eye movement is a common complaint with traditional flat sleep masks, so this is definitely a major benefit. We also noticed that it didn’t smudge our makeup, which is great if you’re planning on using this sleep mask for travel. It’s both breathable and lightweight, with two air vents on each side. This keeps air circulating in and out, which is a major benefit for your sleep.
Pwugwes claims that their mask is anti-fade and antibacterial. While we can’t verify the authenticity of that claim, the sleep mask does meet OEKO-TEX standards. It comes with fully adjustable straps, adjustments range from 18 to 25 inches. Another aspect that helps this sleep mask stand out from the competition is that it comes with 3 noise-canceling earplugs. We found that the eye mask is great for a variety of sleeping situations. Based on our testing, it is also great for people with dry eyes, as well as people who suffer from migraines and insomnia.
Pwugwes sleep mask is available in an all-black color. We really liked how easy it was to clean. I hand washed mine in cool water. To remove makeup and other stains, you can use a mild detergent like I did. Make sure to dry it on a flat surface.
I did notice one downside when reviewing this sleep mask. Due to the 3D contoured design, I felt the inside seam on the side of my face, which was quite uncomfortable. If you think this is going to be an issue for you, we recommend passing on Pwugwes and buying a silk sleep mask instead.
Best Features of this eye mask
- Comfortable – the 3D contoured design and adjustable straps allow for a comfortable fit
- Easy to clean – hand wash and use a mild detergent
- Wider eye space – allows for comfortable eye movement
- Breathable material – allows air to circulate close to the eyes
- Black in color – blocks out all light
#3. Jersey Slumber – 100% Silk
Jersey Slumber pros
- Made out of silk fabric
- Blocks all light effectively
- Adjustable elastic strap
Jersey Slumber cons
- Some consumers report that it stains white sheets
Our experience with Jersey Slumber
We really loved that Jersey Slumber designed their sleep mask with top quality silk fabric. In our experience, silk masks are best for people who have tried sleep masks made out of other types of fabric and found them to be uncomfortable. The silk fabric around the eye area definitely helped me feel relaxed and gave me deeper sleep.
When it comes to light blocking, Jersey Slumber did an excellent job. Every member of our review team found that the mask blocked all light and created a dark sleeping environment, even in direct sunlight.
The adjustable straps are pain-free and comfortable. This sleep mask fits comfortably regardless of sleeping position. Our reviewers are stomach sleepers, side sleepers, and back sleepers. Every single one of them noted that the mask fits comfortably. The adjustable strap prevents the mask from slipping off when adjusting your sleeping position.
The mask is made out of hypoallergenic material. It’s made out of breathable material that allows oxygen to circulate in around the eye area, making it much more comfortable (especially if you’re a hot sleeper).
One downside is that some customers have reported that the black material stains their white sheets. We didn’t notice this at all, but it’s something to take into consideration.
- Top quality natural silk – smooth to the touch, it is breathable and keeps dry air out around your eyes
- Lightweight and comfortable – comes with adjustable straps
- Multi-use – can be used at home, train or when traveling by air
- Ergonomic design – does not tangle your hair and doesn’t create pressure around the eyes
- Helps improve your energy levels – it blocks all light out allowing you to get more deep sleep
#4. PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask
- Lightweight mask
- Blocks all unwanted light
- Easy to clean
- Material isn’t as soft around the eyes
Our experience with Prettycare
The first thing that stood out when we tried this sleep mask are the large eye cavities, which the company claims are made with advanced 3D technology. Based on our experience, this sleep mask does not compress your eyes. We found that the eye mask fits all head sizes and offers plenty of room for eye movement. Weighing in at 0.4 ounces, it is lightweight and comfortable. We noticed that it did a great job of blocking out light. There was no light leakage with this sleep mask.
This is one of the most comfortable sleep masks we’ve tried so far. It has smooth edges and is built to meet OekoTex standards. The mask is anti-bacterial, anti-mite and anti-fade.
I loved how easy it was to clean. All I had to do was place the eye mask in a laundry bag (to ensure that it retained its shape) and into my washing machine. In our experience, other masks that claim to be machine-washable don’t hold up over time. Prettycare held up well, even after multiple washes.
One downside is that it can be a bit stiff around the eyes, which can make it uncomfortable for some consumers.
What I liked about this eye mask
- Easy to fit – comes with an adjustable long strap with a 3.5-inch range
- Spacious – available in a 3D design that allows eye movement as you sleep. No dark circles or puffy eyes
- Lightweight – weighs 0.4 ounces
- Blocks out all light – the eye mask uses low-rebound memory foam to seal and prevent leakage
- Masks distracting noises – comes with 2 earplugs allowing you to enjoy a good night’s sleep anywhere
#5. Unimi Sleep Mask
- Comfortable fit for all face shapes
- Great for larger nose types
- Excellent for delicate skin
- Some customers report that it doesn’t last very long
Our experience with Unimi
Contoured sleep masks are becoming more popular, and for good reason. They provide a much more comfortable fit, which is critical if you want to sleep better. Unimi released this contoured sleep mask with added support in the nose bridge section to help prevent light from seeping in around the edges.
The eye mask is made out dual layers: one layer is made from elastic polyester and the second layer utilizes low-rebound memory foam. We noticed that the two-layer construction and adjustable strap were excellent if for sleepers with long hair, since there was zero snagging in any of our tests.
We also liked that Unimi provides extra space for eye movement. Other masks that we tried have too much uncomfortable pressure around the eye area, but this one is just right (even if you have long lashes).
One thing that we didn’t like is that some customers have reported that it doesn’t hold up well over time. We did notice that after a few washes some of the material started coming apart, so this might not be the best option for long-term use.
What I liked
- Comfortable around your eyes – the 3D contoured shape creates a wider and deeper space
- Soft and smooth – the eye mask is made of skin-friendly low-rebound foam and fine fabric
- Better sleep – dual-layer construction blocks out all light
- Ideal for both adults and kids – adjustable strap is accommodates all head sizes
- Does not snag your hair – comes with a soft strap and a velcro closure for fast attachment
Buy: Unimi Sleep Mask
What to look for when buying a sleep mask
It’s important to consider a few key factors when choosing a sleep mask.
- Material – The biggest difference between different types of sleep masks is the material used to make them. Memory foam, cloth, silk, and foam composite are the main types of materials used. The best type of material will vary depending on your personal preferences, but in general a thicker and softer material will be vastly superior to the thin and abrasive materials used in many cheaper products.
- Light blocking – Obviously this is the reason why you’re buying a sleep mask in the first place, thus making it the most important factor to consider when choosing which one is best for you. Some masks are poorly designed and allow light to leak in through the sides or through thin see-through material. If your sleep mask isn’t actually blocking light, it’s time to get a new one.
- Customized fit – Everyone has a different head shape, so it’s important that your mask allows you to make adjustments. If it’s too loose, it’ll slide off of your face and let light in. If it’s too tight, light can leak in through openings on the side (plus it’ll be extremely uncomfortable).
Why you should use a sleep mask
- Great for traveling – Traveling is a nightmare for a variety of reasons, lack of sleep being the most prominent. Airplanes, hotel rooms, and other common travel sleeping environments tend to be much brighter than what you’re used to in your dark bedroom at home. A sleep mask will help you get quality shuteye regardless of how bright your surroundings are.
- Less exposure to light when sleeping during the day – If you work the graveyard shift you know how difficult it can be to get high-quality sleep while the sun is shining. Even many blackout curtains let a small amount of light in around the edges. If this bothers you, a sleep mask will help you sleep when the sun is up.
- Lower anxiety – People who have a regular and consistent sleep schedule report having lower levels of stress and anxiety than people who sleep irregularly. A sleep mask will ensure that your circadian rhythm stays intact, ensuring that you sleep at the same time and for the same amount each night without waking up due to light exposure.
- Improved cognitive function and memory enhancement – Getting a bad night of sleep can have a devastating effect on your memory. If you want peak cognitive function, it’s extremely important that your mind is fully rested. When you use a sleep mask to help you get high-quality sleep, you’ll notice that your memory is sharper and your ability to process complex information is enhanced. If you have to perform at a high cognitive level throughout the day, it’s absolutely imperative that you use a sleep mask to improve your sleep cycle.
Does an eye mask actually help you sleep better?
Yes, an eye mask can help you sleep better. As you know, light can distract you when sleeping. Whether it is from a car passing by or the airplane cabin lights, this interrupts your sleep.
To prevent this, I recommend a good sleep mask made from natural silk or polyester. As a soft and smooth material to the touch, it prevents light from streaming in allowing you to enjoy a restful sleep.
Okay, but why is sleep so important?
Sleep plays a crucial role in your physical health. For starters, it allows your body to heal and repair muscles and blood vessels. This is important especially if you lift weights at the gym. Sleep helps to lower the risk of certain health conditions. They include heart problems, diabetes, and others. Also, it helps to reduce stress, improve your mood and allows you to rest and rejuvenate your energy levels.
Why is having less melatonin a bad thing?
Melatonin is a neuro hormone produced by the body to facilitate sleep. It works by regulating the sleep-wake cycle. If melatonin is insufficient in your body, it leads to sleep disorders. Melatonin is affected by light – natural or artificial like LED lights. Since melatonin loves darkness, a good sleep mask is recommended.
Benefits of wearing a sleep mask
- Improves your sleep quality
- Helps you fight migraines and insomnia
- Safer than sleeping medication
- Prevents dry eyes by improving circulation
- More affordable than blackout curtains
Whether you are traveling on an airplane or sleeping in a hotel room, exposure to light suppresses your melatonin levels. This keeps you awake all night meaning no sleep at all. To counter this, sleep experts recommend the use of natural silk mask.
Quick view and comparison
|Product||Comfort & Fit||Blockage||Our Review||Buy Now|
|ALASKA BEAR||Great||Total||Read Full Review||Check Current Price|
|Pwugwes||Great||Total||Read Full Review||Check Current Price|
|Jersey Slumber 100% Silk||Good||Adequate||Read Full Review||Check Current Price|
|PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask||Not for all sleeping positions||Total||Read Full Review||Check Current Price|
|Unimi Sleep Mask||Great||Adequate||Read Full Review||Check Current Price|
If you travel a lot, you can enjoy restful sleep even on a plane. All you need is a light blocking mask blindfold for complete darkness. These are made from many materials like natural silk or polyester. There are also some that are hypoallergenic. This is beneficial to people with sensitive skin and dry eye sufferers. Eye masks like these work to help improve your sleep-wake cycle.
Learn how we rate sleep masks.
Related product reviews:
Psst... the sleep review industry is full of liars, sharks, and thieves. It's a modern-day version of getting ripped off at your local mattress store. So, why should you trust us?